Home »News & Events »Bicentenary Celebrations Inauguration

News & Events

Bicentenary Celebrations Inauguration (17 Sep 2014)

Bicentenary Celebrations Inauguration

His Holiness Moran Mar Baselios Paulose II, Catholicos and Malankara Metropolitan declared The Old Seminary as a heritage monument of the Church at the Inaugural Ceremony of the Bicentenary Celebrations of the Seminary.

Fr. Dr. Jacob Kurien, principal of the Orthodox Theological Seminary welcomed the guests while HG Dr. Gabriel Mar Gregorios, President of the Ecumenical Relations of the Church, introduced the members of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, who were present. Sri. Ommen Chandy, the Honorable Chief Minister of the State of Kerala inaugurated the bicentenary celebrations and also unveiled the Bicentenary- Sreyas Builidng Mandapam and Portrait of the Dr. Geevargese Mar Osthathios Metropolitan of blessed memory to whom the building is named after. A copy of the Royal Grant- Ninanu-  that enabled the procuring of the tax-free land for the Seminary in 1814, decreed by the  regent Maharani of Travancore, Queen Gowri Lakshmi Bhai,  was handed over to His Holiness the Catholicos. A replica of the Copper Plate of 849 AD, confirming on the privileges of the Ancient Christians of Kerala, was also handed over to His Holiness the Catholicos. The declaration of the seminary as a Heritage Centre was read in English by His Grace Thomas Mar Athanasius Metropolitan and in Malayalam by Fr. Dr. T.J. Joshua. Fr. Dr. K.M. George former principal gave his reflection on the history and future of the seminary.

His Eminence Cardinal Kurt Koch inaugurated the Santvana home-care service program, of the seminary, which was followed by his words of blessings. Sri. Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan, Honorable Minster inaugurated the Orthodox Seminary Digital Library that contains valuable and rare manuscripts of the church. Bishop His Grace Barnaba Al-Soryany of the Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurated the Malankara Heritage Study Program intended for the promotion, study and research of the writings of the Malankara authors. Bishop Daniel of the Coptic Orthodox Church read the message of Metropolitan His Grace Anba Bishoy, secretary of the Holy Episcopal Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church. Honorable Member of the Parliament Sri. Jose K. Mani unveiled the Heritage commemorative inscription and gave his felicitations. Kottayam Municipal Chairman Sri. M.P. Santhosh Kumar unveiled the Heritage Plaque. His Grace Kuriakose Mar CLemis Metropolitan one of the senior bishops of the Church released the Revised edition of the commentary of the New Testament- Thiruvachanabhashyam. This was followed by felicitations from Fr. Dr. Johns Abraham Konat, the Priest’s trustee, Sri. George Muthoot, the lay-trustee of the church.

His Grace Dr. Mathews Mar Severios Metropolitan, professor of the seminary and the secretary of the Holy Episcopal Synod of the Church released the unpublished collected essays Philosophy East & West by His Grace Paulose Mar Gregioros Metropolitan of blessed memory. On behalf of the Alumni association of the seminary, His Grace Zachariah Mar Antonius Metropolitan gave a felicitation. This was followed by a felicitation by Dn. Tintu U. Kurian, the student representative of the seminary. His Grace Zacharias Mar Aprem Metropolitan, professor of the seminary and Co-chairman of the Bi-Centenary program and project committee released the Malankara Orthodox Theological Studies journal. Receiving a copy of this journal was Fr. Daniel Feleke, a professor, and priest of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The Vote of thanks was delivered by Fr. Dr. O. Thomas, bursar and professor of the seminary. The ceremony ended with the seminary hymn, followed by the national anthem and for the final benediction of His Holiness.

CLICK HERE for photos of the event.